About Armenia
Armenia - acknowledged as one of the cradles of civilization - is a beautiful country with a sophisticated people and a long and cultured history. As a result, Armenia is an intriguing tourist destination. Numerous monuments and masterpieces of the Ancient era and Middle Ages

Read more >>
Business in Armenia
According to Forbes' Best Countries For Business List, 2008, published on 26 June, Armenia is the best country for business in CIS. Armenia ranks 63-rd among 121 countries, leaving behind all the CIS countries.

Read more >>
Useful Links
Ministries
Ministry of labour and Social Issues of Armenia, Ministry of Justice of Armenia, Ministry of Health of Armenia, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Armenia, Environmental Impact Monitoring Center, Ministry of Nature Protection of Armenia

Read more >>

Armenia - acknowledged as one of the cradles of civilization - is a beautiful country with a sophisticated people and a long and cultured history. As a result, Armenia is an intriguing tourist destination. Numerous monuments and masterpieces of the Ancient era and Middle Ages can be found throughout the country.

Geography

Armenia is located in the southern Caucasus and is the smallest of the former Soviet republics. It is bounded by Georgia on the north, Azerbaijan on the east, Iran on the south, and Turkey on the west. Contemporary Armenia is a fraction the size of ancient Armenia. A land of rugged mountains and extinct volcanoes, its highest peak is Mount Aragats, 13,453 ft. (4,095 m).

Demography

According to the official data the population of Armenia is about 3.26 million. More than 95% of the population of the Republic of Armenia are Armenians. The rest 5% are mostly Russians, Yezidis, Kurds, Assyrians, Greeks and Ukrainians. Of the general population the urban population comprises around 64%. 94% of Armenians are Christians, the overwhelming majority of which belong to Armenian Apostolic Church.

Political system

After 70 years within the Soviet Union, Armenia proclaimed its independence on the 21st of September 1991. The Republic of Armenia has its Constitution, which establishes the following political structure. The President of the country is elected by the general, equal and direct election right for 5 year period. The President of the Republic of Armenia on the basis of the distribution of the seats in the National Assembly and consultations held with the parliamentary factions, appoints as Prime Minister the person enjoying confidence of the majority of the Deputies and in some cases the person enjoying confidence of the maximum number of the Deputies; and with the suggestion of the Prime Minister appoints the ministers forming the government. The last presidential elections took place in February 2008. The amendments to the Constitution, which were adopted by the referendum in November 2005, introduce a certain balance between the powers in favour of the Prime Minister and the National Assembly (Parliament). The incumbent President of the Republic of Armenia is Serzh Sargsyan. The Legislative power is exercised by the National Assembly, which is comprised of 131 members of parliament being elected once every five years in general, equal and direct elections. The representatives of the National Assembly represent various political parties. Armenia has established diplomatic relations with 154 countries worldwide. Armenia is a member of the United Nations Organization (UNO), International Monetary Fund (IMF), The World Bank (WB), European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), Council of Europe, OSCE and since February 2003 to the World Trade Organization (WTO). Armenia is also a member of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). In October 1994 Armenia signed a limited military cooperation agreement with NATO and participates in the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP).